Saturday, March 24, 2007

Ok, why do we do this?

The random thought came to me tonight, "Why would we make a church for the unchurched?" I realize that some in the post-modern / emergent / whatever now will immediately see me as someone who doesn't understand how God is moving now or some other crazy thing like that. Know this... I am not a traditionalist. I don't really care how we did it yesterday. It doesn't matter to me that it has always been done a certain way. My only criteria for doing something ministry-wise is effectiveness. However, there is a movement that somehow all things done in the church should be with the unchurched in mind.

I'm honestly not sure this is the correct approach. Let me rephrase that... it's probably not the most effective approach. It all begins with the definition of "church." If the church is a building then it should be inviting to all who chose to enter the door. If it is a program or an event, it begins to get a little shady because there are specifics that will only be effective toward a target audience. For example, in-depth study for those in the know; basics for those new; and introduction to those who don't know. This is not to dumb down the process or to say those who are non-Christian would not be able to understand intellectually; but it is because the basics form the foundation, and the foundation is the most important part.

The issue is that the "church" is neither of these things. The Church (big letter "C") is the body of believers. Wanting the definition to be different doesn't change the definition. While the body of Christ should be open to those who are seeking at all times; they should not rely on an event, program or building to reach out. The early church was interestingly different. They did not try to make anything appeal to the outside world. However, they went outside into the world to share what had changed their life. It's crazy, but they walked the line between being accepting of all where they were; but at the same time being so stoked by being changed by Jesus that they wanted everyone to know, even if the others didn't want to know. It was like Amway salesmen on crack, except that they weren't selling a product, but they were inviting others to be a part of a family and enjoy relationship.

I believe the reason the unchurched have a problem with us is because they feel like we are trying to sell them something. To refer to the Amway guy again; there have been a few times when I have met some really nice people, and I felt as if I would be able to form kind of a bond with them. They seemed to care, and in a few short minutes, I was drawn to them. Then, as if they had pulled a two-by-four out of their back pocket and hit me in the head, they tell the story of how they had found this "opportunity" to better their families and blah, blah, blah. I begin to feel as if they only were my friend to get me in business. I feel abused and used. It's the way we treat the non-believer sometimes. Instead of selling something we need to invite them to meet somone. We need to care about them and their story before we are trying to change them.

So, for the sake of making this a shorter entry: Unchurched Milton and Mandy, you don't have to understand what I do and what I know. You just need to see that I care. If you don't see that I care, talk to me about it; because I have a problem that needs to be corrected. I just want you to love Jesus like I do. You don't have to have the same style, but the fundamental truth of Christ can be at the forefront of many different styles. I don't like country music, but I don't go into the Grand Ol' Opry and cry out that they are not speaking my language. However, the fact that country doesn't appeal to me doesn't make me turn my back on music. I simply find a different place to love music.

Oh, and I really am open-minded. Try me.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Bobbers,

I agree. Thank you for that. I love you. There's really not more I have to say on that right now. I just think you are the man.

On a different note, but included in my blog comment because it is too late to call your home, (as Jonathan would say) I have 2 things: Jeremy passed his Exhorter's test today, after a very unpleasant run-in with the church history section. *sigh* Also, I got an e-mail from UT yesterday saying they have accepted my application and want to offer me an assistanceship that would pay my full tuition plus a stipend. :-D

Hooray! Okay thanks for being cool enough to post a totally true blog. Kudos.