Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Posing or Blinded, You Decide

Ok, I love technology as much as the next guy. Actually, I probably love it a little more. If it has buttons and lights and you can do neat things with it like play solitaire or store mp3s on it then I'm in. However, I'm a little bothered by blue tooth. I have no problem with blue tooth in general, but I am bothered specifically about the practical application and use of the ear pieces that are supplements to cell phones.

Now, I have been caught unaware and have answered someone in a room because I thought they were talking to me, only to find out they were speaking into their blue tooth thing on a call. It's embarrassing, but it really is on them because it's kind of rude to just talk like you are the guy on the streets who talks to potatoes. However, this is not my problem with the devices.

I have three concerns:
A) the lady in front of me at the movie theater who's ear is blinking during the whole film.
B) the people behind the glass window at the gas station/convenience store with the ear piece in
C) those that wear the ear piece constantly throughout the day

A) Why doesn't the lady just get one of those laser pointers and make the irritation complete. Better yet, just point it at my eye and get it over with. I honestly think I would rather hear it ring than see the blinking light out of the corner of my eye.

B) Honestly, who are these people doing business with? It's a much needed service and everyone needs a job, but come on! They don't even have to ring up the Dr. Pepper anymore, because everything is scanned, and they are distracted too much to even scan properly because they are talking out of their head to who knows who. Look, I had five bucks in gas, I'll just leave it on the counter and be on my way.

C) Now, I'm a pretty busy guy. I'm not the president and carry codes or anything like that, but there are times that people need to get up with me. I understand the concept of hands free use while driving, but is it really important to have the ear piece in while playing racquetball? Society has truly gone past the point of no return if we cannot be that unattached to contact from the world.

So, are these people just posing as someone important, or are they truly so blind to their own selves that they believe they are that important? I can think of very few individuals that need to be available on a truly 24 hour basis. What about the rest? I can't answer right now, I have a phone call.

No comments: