Saturday, March 17, 2007

Setting Yourself Up for a Fall

I can almost reach out and touch the attack as if it were tangible. The thing is... I have brought it on myself. If I were just an innocent bystander, I could cry at the injustice of it all. However, I have put myself in front of the firing squad; shunned the blindfold and the cigarette, and am giving the very order itself. I am coaching little league baseball.

I am actually coaching two little league baseball teams. In the 9-10 age division, it is kid-pitch and we are the "JayCees". (The teams are named for the sponsors, you see). Jonah, my oldest is playing, and the kid-pitch thing means it is a whole new ball game, pun kind of intended. He faced a wild pitcher with dreams of being Roger Clemens the other night and didn't bail out. It's a great start, because when he gets his confidence up, he will murder the ball. Some of the kids think they know everything, but that can be worked out as we teach the fundamentals of the game and life. The other team is in the 5-6 year-old division and it is coach pitch. We are "First Community Bank." Jonathan is playing in this league, and I swear, he is the fastest kid alive. In this league, the goal is to keep them from playing in the dirt and to run the bases in correct order. Seriously, if a plane flies overhead, you might as well just stop the game and enjoy the show.

I give you this update to tease you. I have a great story of a coaches meeting I went to and how it relates to dreams, both the shattered kind and the kind lived out vicariously through your children. Oh, and also a lesson about how NOT to use PowerPoint. It will come later, when I have time.

No comments: