Thursday, October 18, 2007

Blessings to Burdens

I have noticed that we as a society are generally ungrateful. I was in the post office a day or two ago and the lady next to me asked me if it was supposed to rain. Now, I 'm not Willard Scott, but I know enough to look at the sky as well as to never trust a Nashville Weatherperson. By the way, a Smuckers "Happy Birthday!" to beautiful Erma Lee from Idaho Falls. She turns 103 today.

"It's supposed to rain, they say. But who knows if you can trust them?" I responded. The sky was ominous, but I realize that it probably wouldn't do much of anything. She then said, "It sure does look like it, but I hope it doesn't!"

I don't know what this lady had planned for the day, but we have had a drought of almost biblical proportions in Middle Tennessee. How could you hope it doesn't rain?!? That's absurd! When it actually did rain a month or so ago I stood in it and smiled.

This is so typical of the average person. The thing that we pray for and hope for comes, and we turn it into a burden. I'm not talking about the things we beg God for that are not good for us, and then we find out later that there was a reason that we weren't supposed to have them. I speaking of the things that are good, and we call them bad because they are inconvenient for us at the time they come.

We pray for a baby and are upset because of pregnancy sickness.

We get the loan for our dream home and then get overwhelmed with the process of building a house.

The rain comes to end our drought and we curse the postponement of our golf game.

Geez people. Get content wherever you are!

No comments: