Friday, March 14, 2008

From the Side of I-40

For clarification, I am not actually on the side of Interstate 40 East, but...

Sitting on a grassy knoll for 2 hours next to large trucks passing by dangerously close at 75+ mph can make one reflective. Well, it at least makes for an unnerving break in the chaos of life.

Let me back up.

Leaving at 3:30 in the afternoon which turned into 4:00 was the start of the quick jaunt to Crossville. The mission was to take three teenage boys to meet with a girlfriend's mother, who would travel the rest of the way for a weekend youth event in Knoxville. Understanding on the way that the boys had not brought the money they were supposed to have because clearly they thought I would pay for it and they could just pay me back brought about a wonderful conversation to pass the time. For punishment, I put in a Christmas musical CD and I believe my point was made.

Have you ever had a moment when you thought about something just before it happened? Well, I was thinking how driving down the interstate would be a bad place to have a flat, especially considering that my spare tire had a nail it in that I had neglected to fix beforehand. No matter, I could take care of that when I got home.

Reflecting on that irony as well as many others while sitting on the side of the interstate brought not anger, but a gentle smile across my face. It truly was an impressive display of "hole" in the tire. I'm not quite sure what had caused it, but that was only to focus on the past, which I am not a man who is want to do. Luckily, when all of the snacks the boys had brought had been consumed by me at a couple of hours later, a football was found and as the sun was setting at around 7:00 PM, no one found themselves bored.

It was at that time that the State Trooper pulled up to see why we were on the side of the road. I informed him that I had called Verizon and they were supposed to send someone, but that was some time ago. He nodded, and drove off. Thankful that not only he, but the other policemen who had passed by without stopping in the time before would be so dedicated to their job of driving the interstates in search of the true ticket quota solutions, I took my spot back on the knoll. Another call to Verizon informed me that the tow truck was 1 mile away, and I walked back closer to the vehicle.

Ten minutes later a car stopped to see if we needed assistance. I informed him of the tow truck being virtually upon us and we discussed the problem with being stuck on the side of the road. Some time later, the tow truck arrived and went through the process of hooking us up. Room was found for the three boys in the cab with the driver, and a discussion was had about the place I wanted to take my car. The driver eventually learned that I did not know where I was, or where a proper tire place was located, and proceeded to drive five miles in the direction I was heading in order to turn around and go twelve miles in the other direction to the tire shop of choice.

Riding in the car on the top of a tow truck gives one time to think. One of the things I thought of was my gratefulness of the fact that I do not suffer from seizures, because the blinking lights that were now at front windshield level would have put a lesser man into such a state. I felt bad for those who have seizures. I also reflected on the physics of wind and resistance, along with the "push" of side wind that comes from semi-trucks. The marvels of the modern truck amazes me.

I in a short time that tire places are closed at 8:00 PM, and that the tow rate after the 10 miles that Verizon will cover comes to around $3 a mile. Interesting. Having remembered that Wal-Mart could be a solution, I requested a trip to one I had noticed from my lofty position a mile or so before. The auto department was closing, as we found out from the drivers cell phone conversation, but I could purchase a tire and put it on myself. This was good news, however I thought of a flaw in the plan. Disappointed the tow driver was when he learned that I had no means to take a tire off of the existing rim, much less put a new tire on said rim. He hadn't thought of this because he buys all of his tires at a junkyard with the rim already on. What to do... what to do?

It was then that I informed him of the reason for requesting Wal-Mart. There is a tire plug kit for around $6 in Wal-Mart that could give a solution to the spare with the nail. Off we go, pulling out onto the road from the parking lot of the closed tire shop and in search of the plug kit. From my position in the car above the tow truck, I sensed a problem while sitting at a traffic light. It had turned green, but we were not moving. Alas, this is what happens to all vehicles when all of the fuel has been expired.

Apparently, tow trucks have a "back tank" where after a few more moments in the middle of the road can be accessed for emergency fuel. Off we were to the Wal-Mart gas station again, which was only a long walk from the actual store itself. Having gotten there, a request was made for the use of my cell phone, as the driver of the tow truck had left his in the road during the time of gas-less-ness. A supervisor shows up, and the driver leaves to retrieve his phone. This was a foolish mission, it seems, because the phone had been run over by passing vehicles several times, including one as the driver was standing by waiting to go into the road to retrieve his phone.

I learned that a tow truck driver, or supervisor, will not take a check card. I also learned that they will not lower a car from the back of a tow truck without payment. With this information came also the knowledge that Verizon had in fact made a mistake with their direction of the event, but the extra tow miles were probably not reimbursable by them. They also hoped I would have a better day. This is the reason I stay with Verizon, their commitment to the integrity of their policy and beliefs.

I learned then, however, that a solution could be for me to put $12 worth of diesel into another tow truck that the supervisor was driving and all could be worked out. This could be done on my check card at the pump, so I obliged. After getting $12.01 worth of fuel for his truck the driver was satisfied. I felt sorry for the man, however, because I believe that he has a hearing problem, seeing that he did not give me the penny in return even after I had asked for it.

Three hours after the initial call I thanked the gentlemen from Express Towing Company for their efficiency and innovative solutions to the financial dilemmas that we had faced.

Finding a plug kit after a walk to the Wal-Mart brought joy and expectancy into the moment. Work was done while the parent and girlfriend, who had traveled to our location at the Wal-Mart, watched in awe. It was like grace in motion, teenage boys changing a tire. Showing them the 3 minute procedure of plugging a tire was a moment for learning, which is something I always try to work into times like these. Air was placed into the tire by one of the boys, and then released from twice the pressure than was necessary. Again, a learning moment for a young lad.

The $200 dollars that I had in my possession went directly into the hands of the boys to pay the bill of the trip. Not to worry, I will get it back I was assured. Two of them would currently like to get jobs. Knowing that I, in fact, owned a money tree was assuring to them and caused them not to even worry about how the bill for the event would be paid.

Pulling out of Wal-Mart at 9:43 PM was highlighted by a Taco Bell across the street. This was providential, because I was both hungry and had to survey the area to determine exactly the direction and distance of the interstate from my present location. With full stomach, I ventured back home.

My wife was in bed at 11:30, and as I got under the covers she told me that she was happy that I was home.

I missed her on the side of I-40.

1 comment:

Scott Reed said...

Stop it. Stop it. I am in stitches. That sounds so much like something I would be involved in. Too funny, at least from my point of view.