Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Creation declares...

Kermit the frog used to opine, "It's not easy being green..." You know, in the world of labels that we live in, we tend to categorize others in an "either/or" box by overlooking the common ground and focusing with laser intensity on the beliefs or thoughts that are different than ours.

"Oh, you drive an SUV? You must hate the earth!"

"Solar panels?? You're one of those un-bathed green freaks!"

I hate labels. The reason I do is that they tend to come not from our immediate perception, but from a belief set in previous time by a past experience or taught lesson. If we could begin to see each other in an immediate light, I believe that there is vast common ground.

Before the 13th century, most did not think about nature. It wasn't until 1410 that a small painting was done of a landscape. It's the first known time that nature was appreciated just for being beautiful. So, from no thought of the beauty of creation we move to an awareness of it. It seems that we shifted sometime from that to a "Mother Earth" scenario where we (humans) somehow don't belong here. Who knows where we are now?!?

Now, with my hatred of labels and a disclaimer that I don't throw trash on the ground (and thereby making the Indian cry) and I love clean air and think solar panels are cool; and I don't drive a tiny gas efficient car because I have a family of five and I believe that the theories on the whole climate "change" (used to be "warming") thing are based on sketchy science and agenda driven and stuff... I offer this thought:

God created all, and it is good.

Creation itself declares (reveals) the glory of God.

I want to stop and view creation and be in wonder. I want that wonder to drive me to the author of it all.

A few months ago I was sitting outside my house gazing at the sky. It was light enough to still see, but dark enough that the stars were visible. I suddenly became aware at the vastness of the universe, and how God was bigger than it all. I became humbled, because I realized my size relative to the size of the universe. I then realized that as small as I am, God still knows me and loves me. I took a moment to thank Him for that.

That was a revelation I would not have received had I not been appreciating nature.

Patrick Morley gives this thought about Man and Creation (and the observation of):
Look at a mountain and think how long it would take one person to cart it away, or make one, or climb it.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Well, I just think it's lucky you had that revelation now, before sketchy science takes it all away. Hello, moon colonies!

Floatingax said...

Come on Joe.

We didn't really land on the moon. It's a coverup.

Since writing the post I have watched "The Truman Show" movie and think we all live in a big dome.

Floatingax said...

Also, why are you not afraid of my Wal-Mart boxed gingerbread house with the roof held up by an apple?