Thursday, January 10, 2008

Accusations

It's funny, not in a "ha ha" way but in that other way, that a regime known for propaganda is accusing the United States of propaganda. One line and I can see the labels flying!!!! This has nothing to do with a debate on whether or not we should be in a war or anything, but a comment on the irony that is human nature. The recent video from the U.S. showing provocation and the newest video not showing provocation brings this post to mind.

Oh wait, it also reminds me of the old joke:
Spray this can of elephant retardant in the air and it will get rid of all of the elephants. There are no elephants in the room. See, it's working already.

I digress.

Now, I have found that accusations are delicate things. First, you can never really defend yourself without sounding defensive, no matter the level of truth (or untruth) of the accusation itself.
Sir, have you stopped beating your wife?!?

No... I mean YES... no I mean I have never beaten my wife!!!

Second, a lot of the time the accusation is based on the actions of the accuser, and not the one being accused. Again, the propaganda regime of Iran has accused America of propaganda. There is some comment about a pot, a kettle, and the color black that might be appropriate here.

This is nothing new. In the Bible there is a story about a young shepherd boy who goes to a battlefield to see his brothers and carry news back to his father. When he gets there, he finds that the army is not doing its job in confronting an enemy threat. As he asks about it, he is accused by his oldest brother that he is being "prideful". It is interesting, because in the previous chapter, this same oldest brother had been passed over because of the condition of his heart. The only reason that God will pass over or resist choosing us is pride. Pretty ironic, eh?

The reason that men (and women) accuse based on their own weakness is this: It will make them look better. You see, if I am a thief, and I accuse you of being a thief; then I am not the only thief around. If I am louder than you in my accusation, or if I find the case that there is already an agenda against you, then all will forget about me being a thief and will focus their attention on you, the new (although false) thief. If I am hateful or bitter, but can spot an instance of accusation, whether real or contrived, of you being the same, then I can take the pressure off of me. You are no better than me, so I am not so bad.

I don't know. Just a thought.

No comments: