Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Water and the Wine

This past weekend I was attacked by the worst case of Strep that had ever been documented. This was not actually told to me by the clinic because of concern for my mental stability in my already weakened physical state, but I am sure they taken the proper procedures to see that my case is studied. I think I need a team, like the elephant man.

Thursday I did begin antibiotics and went through the process of resting my body, in general, and my throat in specific. Being a pastor and needed to speak on Sunday morning, it was imperative that I rested as much as possible. God, and Holly, were gracious to me.

On Sunday morning, I spoke about "giving" by using the 22 chapter of Luke as a backdrop. This was a perfect passage because I was not (and will not be for the next few weeks) focused on financial giving. The thought was, using the "Lord's Supper" as a launch, that Jesus was not focused on giving from Himself, but of Himself. He gave His body and His blood in order that all might receive HIM.

So many times we are content to give an item, when we really need to focus on giving ourselves. Anyone can donate, but when is the last time you put down the pen and the check and poured yourself into a cause. Not to make light of it, but it comes down to the difference between having eggs or bacon. The chicken makes a donation. The pig makes a commitment. Your life is meant to one that is given to others. It's a commitment that matters in the long run.

If just would have given from Himself to you, then there would be less for me. However, He gave of Himself. He gave His life for you, and me, and then you, and you, and you...

Enough for all.

Enough, now that is a startling word. When is the last time I had "enough?" I will ponder on that one a little while.

As a follow-up and finish to the message, I had a table of communion (bread and juice) prepared for the people in the congregation. However, during my message I walked over to the table and demonstrated as I spoke. I mentioned the idea of the "dipping" meal, and I dipped the bread into the cup. The imagery stunned my for a moment.

The "body" covered in "blood."

Then, because of the throat concern, I had a glass of water near me. I mentioned that at times water is included in the communion meal. Blood and water flowed from His side. I mentioned that when wine is used instead of juice, the taste with the bread takes on a bitterness that is really more appropriate as to the nature of the remembrance. The water, then, will cleanse the bitterness like the refreshing of the Spirit. As I spoke of this I took a small drink of the water. I cannot explain the emotion and overwhelming awareness of God that I experienced at that moment.

The bitter sorrows of my life washed away by a cleansing of the Spirit. The process that I could never accomplish on my own is achieved in the death of the One called Savior. All I have to do is receive.

Wow.

No comments: