Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Now... cats.

A sidebar, if you will...

We now... have... cats.

Note the plural nature of the word. Technically, we have a cat and three, yes three, kittens. Now I know what you are thinking. Don't you have to have "a" cat FIRST, and then obtain kittens from said cat? Apparently not.

It was honestly one of the craziest things I have ever seen. I was/am working on putting tile down in the kitchen, so I am completely out of the mix on this one. (Actually, when it comes to animals and our household I am ignored, so I have learned to stay out of such matters altogether.) Anyway, as I am working on the tile inside, Holly and the boys are outside. A young cat comes to the house and the boys recognize it as the pregnant stray that they had seen a couple of weeks previous. One of the boys notices that she doesn't look pregnant anymore. Sure enough, she has had her kittens somewhere. I should have smelled trouble, but I was high on floor tile glue.

Holly decides to feed the cat milk because: [her words] it looks hungry; [my words] she is evil and knows if she feeds it then it will stay and we will then have another animal that "they will take care of" but really I will clean the poop and have to feed it. Now, they actually let the animal in the house, and I'm a softy and it is a young cat and I pet the thing. It scopes out the places and hangs out a while. They go back outside because it is getting dark and the cat needs to get out of the house, and the cat leaves. They (Hol and the boys) stay outside for a few moments and notice that the cat is coming back. They watch at it drops something a time or two, and then it comes up to Jonah and gives him what she was carrying. You guessed it, a kitten! Now, my family (I'm in the kitchen, remember) is suckered in, and they get a toy box for the cat and kitten. She brings it in, cleans it, and then takes the kitten under Jonah's bed (that she had scoped out earlier). Again, the craziest thing!

That's not all! A few minutes later she goes to the door. We let her out (by this time I am in the living room) and she leaves. Minutes later, she comes back with another kitten. Same deal. A few minutes longer than the first time, she goes to the door again. She leaves and is back in record time with yet another kitten. They sleep under Jonah's bed for two nights and now are moved into the bathroom.

Now: five humans, two dogs, and 4 felines.

1 comment:

Scott Reed said...

I thought 3 females and a dog(female as well) was tough.