Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Moving Forward

I mentioned in a previous post about the kid's movie Meet the Robinsons that there was a quote from Walt Disney himself at the end of the film. The quote was about "moving forward," or to continue on despite setbacks. The lesson of getting beyond past failure needs to be learned and embraced by all. One time the characters even applauded failure by the lead because he had eliminated one way not to do something. Brilliant.

However, I believe that an even greater obstacle to moving forward is not the remembrance of past failure, but the fear of potential future failure. It is the question that speaks, "What if I blow it?" It is very real, and it can paralyze you at every step.

At houses of worship across the world we are told to "step out in faith." What keeps us from doing this is the thought, "Well, what if God doesn't come through?" I think we need to turn the question around. The new thought should be, "What if God does come through?" Instead of focusing on what might not happen, look to what would happen if things did work out! This is not some "power of positive thinking" scheme, but a push toward thinking positively enough to "keep moving forward." It will give you a push to try something that has never been done before because, quite frankly, it just might work.

I think Edison said something about finding 900 ways not to make a light bulb before he succeeded. You life might have 900 lessons on how not to make a friend, or build a relationship, or get a job, or whatever. Learn from these lessons, and move forward.

I had a boss/pastor who told me his motto. I was immediately impressed because I knew few people who had a motto. I was equally impressed with the motto itself:
If you are going to make a mistake, make a new one.

As Tumone and Pumba in the Lion King would say:
You have to put your behind in your past.

This one doesn't have the same ring to it, but you get the point.

No comments: