Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sidetrip to Childhood Reading...

Ok, this has nothing to do with "ethos."

I watched a few moments of a youtube video the other day. The only reason (Joe) that I only watched a few moments had nothing to do with a dislike for the video itself, but during the video a life had to be saved or something. Remember, I'm in the life-saving business. Actually, I help others lose their life so that it might be saved, but now we are dealing with semantics. On second actually, a lot of my time is spent listening to those who just "need some help with some assistance" because they came here for work but lost their job because of an injury and they are without a place to live because they had an argument with the person they were staying with but they just started a new job however they won't start until Monday and then won't get paid until after that. Oh yeah, and they have to get back to Knoxville because their mother/aunt/daughter/dog is real bad sick and is going to have surgery/about to die and could I just give them some gas money to get back there by tonight? I forgot, they are also hungry because they haven't eaten since yesterday so anything I can give would be fine. The other thing is that they will probably be at church this Sunday.

On the youtube video (link here), I learned about "thinking about thinking." I am thinking about thinking about thinking about it right now. The side note is that I am impressed and soothed by the announcer voice. The idea in the video that struck me was that when reading to children you need to work to keep them interested in the story, or (and this is the greatest part!) convince them that they are interested in the story itself helping them realize that the story "matters." In spite of the overuse of italics, I think you see why this fascinated me. I know that this sounds arrogant, but I am convinced that most don't know that they are supposed to care. In other words, they don't care to care. How do you make someone care? About anything???

I will go back soon to watch the rest of the video to find out!

No comments: